Monday 31 March 2008

Student Spotlight: Andy Brennan

© Andy Brennan At Leeds Met, Masters student Andrew Brennan (MSc Sound & Music for Interactive Games) has been investigating a number of tangible interfaces ranging from big screen to table-top interaction. For his ElectroBurst project, Andy created a real-time interactive audio table interface using the Nintendo Wii remote.
ElectroBurst : An investigation into physical, tangible interaction with music. WingBats utilises a glass table, a projector and a Nintendo Wii control setup to bridge the gap between the 'real' and the ‘virtual'. By playing a simple game the physical actions of the user influence the resulting sound.

Andy says, "I initially wanted to be an architect and spent two years learning about principles such as conceptual design, self critique and discipline. After this period I decided to take my newly acquired skills and knowledge to sound design and production. My undergraduate course in BSc Creative Music & Sound Technology has exposed me to exciting areas of sound technology that I had never thought of before. table sketch - © Andy BrennanMy first audio programming experience was Native Instruments Reaktor, which I used to create various synths and samplers. From this point on I began to experiment with other programming platforms such as Max/MSP, Processing, Java, C++ and C* to create various interactive systems and stochastic performance tools. "

His masters work has continued these experiments and successes. More info is available on Andy's personal site, and his project blog.

No comments: